The Wilcox Female Institute, constructed in 1849 and incorporated in 1850 remains a symbol of culture and learning. The Institute now serves as Wilcox Historical Society headquarters and is an important cultural and events center.
The Wilcox Female Institute is a historic Greek Revival-style school building in Camden. The brick structure features twin Doric columns, a second floor balcony, and a two-tiered cupola and pilastered belfry. This building was built between 1848 and 1850 and chartered as an academy for women in 1850.
During the antebellum and postbellum periods, this school for women was one of the most successful academies in Alabama. The school closed in 1910 and the building was then used as part of the county high school for more than 50 years. The building was deeded to the Wilcox Historical Society in 1974 and today it serves as the headquarters of this group.
The Wilcox Female Institute was recorded by the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) in 1937 and it was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on April 3, 1975.
Sources: 1) Wilcox Historical Society; 2) NRHP “Wilcox Female Institute” Nomination Form.