The railroad started running through Pine Hill, Alabama in 1888. Eight years later, Pine Hill’s original depot was destroyed when a train jumped track and crashed into the building.
A new depot was built in 1905 at a cost of $2,096. This depot was used until 1989 when taken out of service. At that time, Norfolk Southern made the depot and a caboose available to the town of Pine Hill. The depot and caboose were moved to their present site.
In 1997, the Town of Pine Hill received an ISTEA Grant of $105,000 administered by the Alabama Department of Transportation for renovation of the depot, which was completed in 1999. The depot is now used as a museum to preserve the history of Pine Hill and surrounding communities.