Choctaw County was established in 1847. The current courthouse in Butler is Choctaw County’s second courthouse – built 1906 and occupied in 1907. There were additions to the courthouse in 1956 and 1965. It was placed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks & Heritage in 1997. A Military Memorial Walkway was dedicated in 1997, as part of Choctaw’s 150th birthday observances. There is a Confederate statue, located in front of the courthouse. It was made in Italy and erected in 1936 by UDC Ruffin Draqoons Chapter, but not dedicated until 1937.