Lyon Hall is a Greek Revival residence built between 1850-1853 by slaves of George Gaines Lyon and his wife Anne Glover Lyon in Demopolis, Alabama. Lyon was a successful attorney and local planter, while Anne was the daughter of Allen Glover, a wealthy man who had amassed a fortune.
Lyon Hall was occupied by Lyon family descendants for 145 years until the last family descendant, George G. Lamar, bequeathed his 2/3 interest in the home to his first cousin, Helen Herbert Nation. Nation donated her 2/3 interest in Lyon Hall to the Marengo County Historical Society in May of 1997, giving them full ownership of the property.
Restoration work began with the support of preservation architect Brian Brooker and several volunteers who sorted through every article found in the home. The restoration of Lyon Hall has been a community effort, and the Marengo County Historical Society relies on its generous members and volunteers to support its preservation efforts. The Lyon Hall Charitable Foundation was created in memory of Annie Gaines Lyon to ensure the continued restoration of Lyon Hall.
102 S Main Ave
Demopolis, AL 36732