St. Stephens Historical Park is a state park designated to preserve the history of the Territorial Capital of Alabama. The park grounds include remains of the original town of St. Stephens which experienced its heyday from 1799-1829.
The town site of historic Old St. Stephens is one of the greatest archaeological assets in the state of Alabama. Because the town was abandoned and remained virtually undisturbed for over 100 years, the area will provide unprecedented glimpses into the lives of pioneer Alabamians in the early 1800s. The town is an active archaeological site. Regular digs are held and are open to the general public. Tours are available by advance request.
The centerpiece of the recreational park is its 70-acre quarry lake. There is a sandy beach with a shallow section for children and a “bottomless” deep end for mature swimmers.
Fishing is a great way to spend a day. There are boat launches that access the lake and the Tombigbee River.
An 18-hole disc golf course was added to the park in 2018, and there is more than 15 miles of trails for hiking and horseback riding.
Lodging options include 9 cabins, more than 40 RV sites, and primitive camping sites.