The present courthouse, which is actually the third courthouse, was erected on July 9,1902. This Beaux Arts Style courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The square also features the confederate monument, which was unveiled as the tribute to the confederate soldiers on June 17, 1909, and the “Bored Well” whose water gained wide popularity in the 19th century for its medicinal properties.
The Sumter County Courthouse, built circa 1902, is a Beaux-Arts Classicism style building with certain features that reflect the then popular Romanesque style. Features which reflect the Classic Revival include four sets of coupled Ionic engaged columns spaced symmetrically along the second-story facade of the central mass. An eight-sided, but not octagonal, domed cupola rises from the roof of the building.
The present Sumter County Courthouse is the fourth in the county’s history. A log courthouse, built in 1833, served as the center of many early county activities including the organizing of several churches. The next courthouse, built of brick in 1838, collapsed while all the personnel were out to lunch. It was replaced by a frame courthouse which burned in 1901. Fortunately, the probate office with county records was located next door and thus unharmed by the fire. On July 9, 1902, the cornerstone was laid for the present courthouse. A public barbecue was held to celebrate, and Dr. Russell M. Cunningham, lieutenant governor of Alabama, and Major J. G. Harris, former state superintendent of education, were prominent in the dedication ceremonies.
The Sumter County Courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historical Places (NRHP) on March 24, 1972. It is located on the courthouse square at downtown Livingston.
Sources: 1) NRHP “Sumter County Courthouse” Nomination Form; 2) “Livingston, Alabama/ Livingston’s Bored Well” Historical Marker.