The Grant Store, built in 1924 in Ward, Alabama, was a general store containing food staples, clothing, farming tools, feed and seed, and even a doctor’s office. The store is now owned by Danny and Betty Curtis, who have filled it with antiques and preserved its original items. The store can be visited by contacting the owners to schedule a time.
The Grant Store was built in 1924 by T. L. S. Grant. It was a general store that contained anything that country folks living in the early and mid 1900’s might need – food staples, cooking utensils, clothing, remedies for all types of ailments, farming tools, feed and seed, nails, etc. At one time, there was a post office in the front of the store and a doctor’s office in the back with a small room between the doctor’s office and the main store where the doctor dispensed medicines. A picture taken at the Grant Store in 1954 showing food commodities being dispensed was used in a story published in the Sept. 10, 1955 edition of the Saturday Evening Post.
The Grant Store was operated by T. L. S. Grant and then his son, William H. Grant. The store is now owned by Danny and Betty Curtis. Danny started working for Mr. William Grant as a young lad and continued through high school. Danny and Betty Curtis have been collecting antiques for many years. Today, the Grant Store contains many of the items that were in the store when it closed as well as antiques that the Curtis’ have collected. Visiting the old Grant store is like going back in time. You will find just about anything that was available in old southern country stores. Also, located beside the store are several pieces of old farm equipment and pieces from a large petrified tree that was dug up near Ward.
If you are interested in visiting this store, contact Danny or Betty Curtis at 205-392-5459 to schedule a time. The store is located beside Sumter County Road 10 in Ward in the southwest corner of Sumter County.
Source: Danny Curtis (Owner of the Grant Store)