The Lovelace Lewis Home was built in 1840 by John Huntington, son of the Revolutionary War Veteran Roswell Huntington. LTC and Mrs. Carlos Lewis currently operate the home as a bed and breakfast.
Encompassing almost 5 acres, this 1840s home serves as the only Gothic-style house in Marion and one of the last of that style in Alabama. It was once the home of Alabama Governor Andrew Barry Moore’s daughter.
Built in the early 1840s by Napoleon Lockett and his wife Mary. Mrs. Lockett and a group of Marion ladies sewed the original Stars and Bars of the Confederacy here.
Westwood is a historic plantation in Uniontown, Alabama. James Lewis Price built the main house between 1836 and 1850. It is in the Greek revival style with some Italianate influence. The outbuildings include a smokehouse, a carriage house, a dairy, and a cook’s quarters.
Built for General Edward King in 1819, who played a strong role in the area’s development. He served as a trustee for the University of Alabama, on the board of directors of the Marion Female Seminary, and was one of the founders of Judson College and Howard College.
Built-in 1858, Reverie is a Greek revival home featuring Doric columns made of triangular-shaped handmade brick. The home serves as a house museum for the Marion community.
Seven miles west of Marion, at Folsom, is one of Alabama’s last active plantations, one which has been in the same family since the early 1800s. William “The Wagon Maker” Moore came from South Carolina in 1819 and homesteaded in Alabama. Since then, his farm has grown from the original 80 acres into thousands of acres. Most of the buildings on this property are original and date to the 1800s. The country store contains historic papers, a deed signed by Andrew Jackson, and other items. Tours are available by appointment.
The house was completed in 1860. Richard Upjohn, a noted 19th-century architect, designed it for Edward K. Carlisle. It is one of the best examples of the Italian Villa style in Alabama and is designated as a national landmark. This home is for drive-by only and has a locked gate by the road.